2nd International Conference - Optimum Utilization of Salt Affected Ecosystems in Arid Regions - 9-12 September 2013, Cairo, Egypt
It is well established that population in developing countries is progressively growing and so land, water and other natural resources are unable to satisfy their food needs and other life elements. Therefore, alleviating hunger and poverty is one of the objectives of the UN millennium development goals. Such countries face increasing challenges of water scarcity, desertification, global climatic change, transmitted diseases, world food crises and misuse of natural resources. Thus optimum use of available resources becomes inevitable. The situation is not only being made worse by further land deterioration and salinity but also by population increase, climatic changes, etc. Salinity is one of the major environmental stresses that have significantly impaired agricultural production all over the world.
In this accord, the 1st International Conference on "Optimum Utilization of Salt Affected Ecosystems in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions" was held during 8-11 April, 2002, Cairo, Egypt and organized by Desert Research Center (DRC). The conference geared the attention towards further innovations, research, and studies for optimal utilization of salt affected natural resources. The recent approaches in science and technologies combined with proper management on social and economic activities contribute significantly to such issues. Meanwhile, searching ways for appropriate approaches to ameliorate marginal land to adoption of modern farming approaches, lessen the risk of degradation will enhance land productivity and sustainability of natural resources. In this respect, DRC intends to organize the 2nd International Conference on "Optimum Utilization of Salt Affected Ecosystems in Arid Regions" in Cairo, Egypt during 9-12 September, 2013 in coordination with some national and international organizations to deal with these issues and discuss ways and means for establishing an international network on salt affected natural resources in arid regions, including creation of Newsletter and setting up national, regional, and international database
It is, therefore, a must to initial further disciplinary communication and a multidisciplinary platform for specialists, scientists, engineers, management professionals, stakeholders, and governmental officials for optimal conservation and utilization of salt affected natural resources.
- To assess and discuss current status, recent trends and advances of management and sustainable utilization of salt affected natural resources in arid and semi arid regions
- To foster integration of the latest developments of scientific research into engineering applications.
- To provide a major interdisciplinary forum for presenting new approaches related to the conference topics.
- To facilitate technology transfer from well-tested ideas into practical products, saline natural resources management, remedial processes, and ecosystem restoration.
- Conference abstract book
- Conference proceedings
- Providing multidisciplinary platforms for specialists, scientists, engineers, and governmental officials for optimal conservation and utilization of salt affected natural resources.
- Establishing an international network on salt affected ecosystems in arid regions, including creation of newsletter and setting up national and regional, and international data base
|Organized & Hosted by|